Friday, August 19, 2011

Marching Band Dad Thoughts

     Tonight will be my daughters debut with her high school marching band.  I think I am more nervous than she is.  I realize that this is one more milestone in her march to adulthood, and I'm not ready.
     Up until this point, things were easy.  Recreation league games, beginner band, band manager......  these were easily taken, because it was still "kid stuff."  It seems like yesterday she was starting pre-k. Tonight she is marching in the high school band.  Where did the time go? 
     I asked her this morning when I woke her up if she was nervous.  She said "kind of."  I knew she was. I reminded her of what her band director told the band a few weeks ago, life is made of moments, and to enjoy each one.  I thnk she will, band seems to be her true love.
     As for Dad, I will be sitting in the stands watching, and true to form will probably have a tear or two of joy when she marches out with the band.  The older she gets, and the older I get, the more I try to grasp and hold on to those moments, because I know that each one is precious.   

No comments:

Post a Comment