Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Butch

     Today's post is honoring a dear friend of mine.  I don't do this very often.  I have talked about my Dad, my Grandmother, Buford Fox, and Joyce Ozment.  Today's post is about a person who is near and dear to a lot of people, and who is fighting a very tough battle.  I hope in some way I can bring some attention to his battle, and maybe bring him a little help.
Johnny Butch
     I first met Johnny Butch in high school.  He was behind me in school, and played in the band.  Even back then Butch was a character.  He was always the life of the party, and had a personality that just drew everyone to him.  After high school I lost track of Butch for several years.
     Soon, I ran into Butch again, and we caught up on old times.  He had went into the Army, and had returned home.  I noticed that when Butch talked, his speech was a little slurred, and he didn't seem real steady.  I assumed he had a stroke or something, and didn't go too far into it.
     Later on Johnny Butch started attending the same church I was attending.  That's when I really got to know him.  Turns out, he had been doing P.T. in the Army, and had noticed that his endurance was failing.  Tests were ran, and Butch was diagnosed with a deteriorating cerebellum.  He told me that the longer he went, the worse he would get.
     Butch never let on to the struggles he was facing, even as his body failed him more and more.  He was active in the church, especially with the youth.  Everybody loved him.  He was a shining light.   As time went on though, Butch's health got worse.  Soon, even coming to church was a chore.  I once again lost track of Butch.
     Facebook brought us back together, and also brought the name of his disease.  Ataxia is the name.  I hate what it has done to Butch.  I saw Butch a few weeks back at a yard sale that was being held to raise money for him.  He was beaming when he saw me and the kids.  Butch couldn't wait to talk to the kids, and to just love them for a while.  They were proud to love him back.
     Butch has a wonderful wife, Pamela, who is a gift to him from God.  She is trying to raise $15,000 for Butch so that he can get stem cell treatments to fight this awful disease.  They have a Facebook page, HELP BUTCH CLARK FIGHT ATAXIAto help get the word out about their cause.  I ask you to join the group, and to do what you can to spread the word about this battle.  God Bless you Johnny Butch, I love you man.

No comments:

Post a Comment