Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Joyce

Joyce, a special lady.
     Different people have different ways of dealing with things.  My way is to put words on a computer screen.  I am going to work through something, and I am going to take you along with me as I go.  This is a special entry, for a special person. 
     Many people come and go in our lives, and truth be known, the majority of them that are not family, or very close friends, stay on the periphery of our everyday lives.  Sadly, we seldom take time to truly cherish those special people we often come across until it is too late.  Tuesday, a special person went home to be with The Lord, and in some small way I just want to give her the recognition that she never got when she was with us.  Joyce Ozment was that special person.
     I first met Joyce many years ago.  When I first met her, she was one of "the sisters." That's what everyone called them, hardly ever Joyce and Shirley, just "the sisters."  They were inseparable.  A few years ago Shirley died, and Joyce went on by herself.  I never really knew Joyce until she went to work with my wife.  Joyce became a lunch lady.  Anybody who has been with me since the beginning of this blog knows that I have an affinity for lunch ladies.  With Joyce working with my wife, I got to know her better.
     The one thing that would stand out as soon as you met Joyce was that she was friendly.  I doubt there were very few people that ever met her that don't remember her.  Joyce had a genuine love for people that shone brightly.  There are not many people like that in the world now.
     Most people that didn't get to know Joyce would not know just how much she would do for others.  She was always willing to lend a hand, and to help out whenever someone needed anything, never asking for anything in return.  For her, the helping was the reward.  Joyce was a fixture at the local flea markets.  That was her love.  The thing that always amazed me about Joyce was that most of the time she was giving away more stuff than she was selling.  My kids would do as most kids when they go to the flea market and look at toys.  Joyce always had some small toys, and the kids would stand and check them out while Joyce and my wife would talk.  The majority of the time, Joyce would tell the kids to pick them out a toy, or some trinket, and would let them have it.  I know that my kids were not the only ones. 
     Joyce was also very active in her church.  That in itself is good, but her activity in the church was not for recognition, but borne out of her genuine love for her Savior.  I have no doubt in my mind that in an instant, Joyce was standing on streets of gold with Jesus.  I also have no doubt that the first words out of His mouth were, "well done my good and faithful servant."  Rest in peace Joyce, this world is a lesser place tonight, but Heaven just got even better.

8 comments:

  1. Vicki Boyd10:18 PM

    Such a beautiful person Joyce was on the inside and out.She will truly be missed by all of us at Jims we loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa Miller Croft Luallen12:42 AM

    I grew up in the house next door to the Ozment family.Joyce was a huge animal lover but most of all Joyce loved people.Joyce never met a stranger,she spoke to everybody and was friends with most people in Chattooga County and a lot of folks that live elsewhere.If Joyce saw you out and about she would go out of her way just to come say Hello to you. She has visited with me often since my Mamas death and I will miss her very much. She could talk the horns off a billy goat but she was a very special lady and a dear friend.She loved her animals and through the years had a multitude of cats and dogs,sadly all of them have died and she had one old red dog left that she called Ruff. I wonder how poor old Ruff will survive without his daily feeding of bologna.Rest in Peace my dear friend.I love you Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie Stallings11:38 AM

    I remember her also. I never had the opportunity to get to know her as you have. But, I remember her kindness. I worked for Dr. Hugh Goodwin and Herman Spivey for many years, and she and her family came there. Yes, I can see Jesus saying, "well done" to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Day5:07 PM

    She was a cousin of mine, though perhaps a distant one, but I never really got to know her, and I now regret that very much. I did know that she was a warm and wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful memories of a wonderful person. Thank you all for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl Durham7:22 PM

    Joyce was a very loving, caring, friendly, funny, hard-working Christian lady. I came to know the "Sisters" about 9 yrs ago. She loved her family, friends & her church family. She is going to be missed by so many. But Praise God she is walking on streets of gold now & the "Sisters" are together again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Barry, thank you so very much for the beautiful words you said about joyce and her life and about the wonderful person she was! we that knew her and loved her, are very saddened by her death, but are rejoicing to know she is with her savior! and one day will see her again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill Pledger9:24 PM

    I can't remember not knowing Joyce. She was a very special person. She was a loving and giving person. Steve and I loved going out to eat with Joyce. She was so much fun. We will miss her but we know where she is at.

    ReplyDelete