Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pet Peeving

     I have a new pet peeve.  Actually, it is something that has bothered me for a while now, but just recently has reached critical mass.  When I was younger I thought it was cool, but now it just seems silly.  I was watching the Giants - Cowboys game the other night, and when it happened I almost blew a fuse.  I am talking about the segments at the start of the game when they show the players, and they say their names and which college they attended
.     I am sure anybody that has ever watched a football game knows what I am talking about.  The announcers will say something along the lines of, "let's meet the Giants offense," then we will have each player say his name, and his college, such as..... Eli Manning, quarterback, Ole Miss.   This would all be fine and good during a college all star game, but for the life of me I can't understand why it makes sense in a professional football game.  I would think that just saying their name and position would be better, or if not position, then maybe hometown.  It really does annoy me to no end.
     Maybe it would have made sense back when players actually played 4 years of college before turning pro, but that doesn't happen very often either. Most players now do not spend enough time in college to even get tied to the schools the way players of the past did.  Years ago players were more closely identified by their college careers
     I can just imagine if the real world was like sports.  I can just imagine the first day of school. The principal calls an assembly, and announces to the students, " Now, let's meet our 2011-2012 teachers."  Stepping out from behind the curtain, the 60 year old grey haired teacher says......"Myra Dumples, Science, Jacksonville State.".

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Some players now say the name of their high school instead of college. I don't mind it as the player gets to name a place where he felt a sense of pride. And college players still can't turn pro until three years have passed since they graduated high school. That is still plenty of time to build a strong tie to a school. In fact, some players, such as this years Heisman winner, even graduate within three years. You might also want to check some stats about how many players play four years. Only the really exceptional ones leave early. Most players still play four years.

    And I would LOVE it if teachers would proudly say the name of their institution at the assembly at the start of school. Pride in where you went to school is never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about the 3 year thing, my mistake. Like I said, that has always just been a pet peeve of mine. I have also heard a few of them say the name of their high school, which I think is a nice thing to do.

    ReplyDelete