Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Maybe

     Maybe I am old fashioned.  I believe in respecting my elders, respecting the church, and honoring the dead.  I think it is a shame that people can't turn their phones off long enough to worship God any more.  I think it is offensive that people can't take their bluetooth headsets out of their ear long enough to pay respects to the dead in a funeral home.  I do not understand why it is that people that are dressed to the nines all week long, show up to church looking like they just got out of bed.
     Maybe I am too new fangled.  I don't believe that whether or not I get into Heaven is going to depend on which translation of the Bible I use.  I don't think it offends God if I don't wear a jacket or a tie to church.  I am a lot less offended by a woman wearing a decent pair of pants to church than I am a woman wearing a short skirt. Sometimes I even let my beard grow out, I really hope God doesn't mind.
     Maybe I was wrong about a lot of things.  Maybe my Dad knew a lot more than I gave him credit for.  Maybe I should have taken more time to listen to the things he was trying to tell me, instead of trying to convince him I knew what I was doing.  Maybe I should have been more serious about life, instead of wasting my youth on frivolous pursuits.  Maybe I should have studied longer, played harder, and enjoyed those loved ones that I now miss a little bit more.
     Maybe instead of looking at what is wrong, I should be looking more at what is right.  Maybe instead of complaining about wrongs, I should be working harder at making things right.  Maybe I should look for the good in people, look for a reason to trust and believe in people more.  Maybe I should give more second, even third chances.  Maybe I will have the chance today to tell somebody about Jesus, and how He made a difference in my life.  Maybe He will make a difference in theirs.
     Maybe I should spend more time with my children.  I would give anything for just a few moments with my Dad.   Maybe I can be the kind of Dad my kids can be proud of.  Maybe I can become a better friend, a better son, a better husband, and a better man..  Maybe it's not too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment