Friday, February 24, 2012

Being The Biggest Loser

     The place where I work is going to do another biggest loser competition.  For that I am thankful.  In 2010 we did a Biggest Loser competition.  The first half of the year, people had liposuction, gastric bypass, all sorts of things, and some people had huge weight losses.  I lost a few pounds, but didn't really apply myself.  The second half of the year I dug in, and lost a fair amount of weight.  I didn't think much of it, and after the final weigh in I told my wife that I was going to eat what I wanted for a while, since it was the holidays and I wanted to splurge.  Imagine my surprise when I went in to work the next week, after eating a good breakfast of biscuits, sausage, and eggs, when I was informed I had made the finals and had to weigh in that morning.  I was in 4th place going into the final weigh in, and even though the third place person had also gained a few pounds, I had also and missed out on a Wii with a Wii fit bundle by about what I had for breakfast.  Not this time.
     I have struggled with my weight all of my life.  I have weighed anywhere from 212 pounds in college (when I was working out, running, and was in very good shape) up to over 300 pounds at my heaviest.  To be honest, I have no idea what my weight is now, nor do I care to know.  What I do know is that on March 1st, I have to weigh in again.  It will be my first time on the scales in over a year.
     What I plan to do is painful.  I am going to share my weight loss journey on the blog, including my weights.  I know that I will be ashamed at first, when I have to share what I actually weigh with the world.  I also know that to do things right, I need to be held accountable.  That is where you come in.  I am asking that you not be judgmental, as I am going to be tough enough on myself.  What I do ask is that when you see me you offer encouragement, and cheer me on as I go on this journey again.  The last time I set goals for myself and reached those goals, only to go back to my old habits.  This time I am determined not to let that happen.  I have three beautiful children, and a loving wife that deserve better.  I also deserve better than what I have let myself become.
     I have clothes in my closet that I have never worn, particularly an outfit that I got for Fathers Day a few years ago that I almost  got into, and a shirt and tie that I got for Christmas this past year that I stood no chance of fitting.  I will wear those clothes this time.  On march 1st the journey begins again, and I am taking you for the ride.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy turner6:18 AM

    Barry, I will cheer you on! I think you blogging this is such a brave step!
    All of the actions that you take towards achieving your weight loss goals need to stem from an inner motivational strength. That sounds like what you have! In order to do anything the motivation has to be high. Or else when the difficult moments arise you’ll feel like giving up

    ~ Remember the reasons why… Make sure you have high levels of motivation by remembering all of the reasons why you want to lose the weight.

    ~ Protect your emotional life so that this level of inspiration does not go down.

    ~ Catch yourself and redirect when going into a negative and wrong thinking pattern.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Barry! As someone who has struggled all my life with weight, too, I'll be following your journey and praying for you as you go! Hoping you'll do the same for me as far as the praying goes - I need all the help I can get! :) Best wishes as you lose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen7:11 PM

    Barry, I too share the burden of some extra weight....I too will support you...hang a picture that you absolutely hate on the frig....good luck....

    ReplyDelete