Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Letting Off Some Steam

     Most times when I do the blog I have a clear direction on what I am trying to say, but occasionally I use this medium to try to clear my head, and make sense of things.  Today is going to be one of those entries.  I got a call from my mother this afternoon (actually yesterday afternoon by the time you read this) wanting me to call the sheriff's office.  I asked her why, and she told me she thought she had her identity stolen.  I immediately went to her house and started trying to find out what was going on.
     She explained to me that she had received a call about a bill she owed, and had given her account information to the caller to pay the bill, but then she got to thinking about it and got nervous.  I asked her if she did indeed have an account with the company that called, and if she did was there money due.  She said yes.  This put me at ease a little, so I called the company to make sure everything was legitimate.
     After staying on the phone for about 20 minutes pressing this number and that number, I finally got to talk to a real person.  I explained the situation, and asked whether or not they had called.  She told me that they more than likely had.  Then she asked me why I was calling on my mothers behalf.  That's when I started getting upset again.  I told the lady that my mother was a senior, and that I was calling to make sure she wasn't being taken advantage of.  I asked her if I handed the phone to my mother, and she gave the okay, if I could speak on her behalf.  She said yes, and that was the last time I got to talk to her.
     A few minutes later my mom hung the phone up, and said that everything was okay.  Now, with what little I got to talk to the woman, I am sure the call was legitimate, but that's not what has my so upset.  The first thing that upsets me is the entire process of how my mom ended up owing this company money.  My mother ordered a CD from the company, thinking she got a good deal.  What she didn't realize was that after he first disk, she would keep on receiving them every month, at a not so great rate.  Sure enough, now my Mom has a bunch of crappy CD's and a huge bill.  Needless to say, the order got stopped.  I can't stand people that take advantage of others.
     I have done things in the past that if I hadn't been honest, I probably could have taken some people for a good deal of money, especially when I was selling cars.  I didn't last long in that profession, I always tried to help the people that were buying to get a good deal, which meant when I did sell a car, I normally didn't make anything.  I can live with that.  I have learned that the world is such now that honesty normally doesn't pay.  I don't mind not having a lot of money as far as myself, but I do feel sometimes that I have let my family down by not being in a profession that pays better.  I have a job that pays the bills, but not much more, and sometimes even that is a stretch.  I am home every evening, and off most weekends, and get to watch my children grow up and take part in their lives.  Maybe I should have looked more at the money, and gave them things instead of time.
     The more I think about it, the more I know that isn't right.  I do wish I could give my family more, but also know that when they get older, they won't remember the things so much, but will remember the times.  I guess I can take comfort in that.  Sometimes though it isn't much comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment