Friday, February 10, 2012

The Little Engine That Could

     This was not what I was originally going to write about today.  My thought for the past few days was to compare legalistic people of today with the Pharisees of Jesus day, or to talk about crumbling churches.  I know what you are thinking, real knee slapping topics.  However, I did something tonight (well, it will be last night by the time you read this) that I hadn't done in a while, but will be doing again soon. My son and I laid on my bed, and had story time.  Let me talk about that for a while.
     I have a collection of old (and I do mean old) books that I had when I was a kid.  Most of the time they stay stashed away in a corner of our home and in a corner of my memories.  Part of my son's homework was to read for 30 minutes.  My kids have a large collection of books strewn all around the house, and that is what they normally read.  For some reason tonight my books came to mind, and I thought it would be great for my son to read out of one of them.  He chose a book titled "Ten Items Or Less" and we were on our way.
     I wasn't really sure what level these books were on, and that particular book was a test for my young man, but he battled through like a trooper.  After he finished, I decided to read to him.  Here's the thing though, when I read to my kids, I REALLY read the stories.  I looked at the books I had pulled out, and saw "The Little Engine That Could."  What better story than a timeless classic like that.  As I was reading the story, I started noticing that the more into it I got, the more into it my son was.  Soon, he was hanging on my every word.
     I have to admit I was kind of disappointed when the engine topped the hill and the words "I thought I could, I thought I could" signaled the end of the story.  The look on my son's face during the story was priceless, and is one I won't soon forget.  The best part was when I finished the story and closed the book.  My son turned and looked at me, his eyes wide with excitement, then he grabbed me and gave me one of the biggest hugs he has ever given me.  It was a moment that no amount of money could buy.  I wonder if some point in my childhood my Dad and I ever shared that same moment.
     Those are the kinds of things that I find myself longing for more and more.  I know I will probably never have the money to give my children any great amount of material things.  I try my best to provide the necessities.  I am going to do my best however to give them something that money can't buy, and that is my time.  I am finding that the more time I invest in them, the more reward I receive in return.  A loving hug from one of my children is greater than gold to me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment