Monday, June 4, 2012

The Amazing, Time Altering, Watch

     I have a watch that had been driving me crazy for a while now.  First of all, I do not wear expensive watches.  I hardly ever wear a watch at all unless it is the weekend.  Maybe if I did I could have avoided this whole mess, and I would not have felt so silly.
     I awoke Sunday morning and was getting ready to go to church.  I got out my cheap Wal-Mart watch (which is really a nice looking watch) and went to put it on.  I looked at the time, and the watch was once again 10 minutes behind the clock beside my bed.  I was sure I was going to have to get a new watch, this one was going crazy.  I started thinking back, and could remember at least two other times recently that I had went to put on my watch, and it was 10 minutes slow.
     Normally, this would be a signal to me that maybe I needed a new battery, but I had replaced the battery not even a month ago, so that couldn't be it.  Not only that, but after I reset my watch, it would somehow start running fast, and would end up about 10 minutes ahead.  I would reset it again, and would be good for about another week until it would do it all over again.
     Maybe the watch was just defective, after all it was a $10 watch, and I have had it a while.  If it were defective it should either run fast or slow all the time, not one then the other.  I stood there a minute looking at the watch, then looking back at the clock beside my bed.  Slow, fast, slow, fast, what was going on?
     I took one last look back at the clock beside my bed to get the correct time, then reset my watch again.  I thought for a second I really needed to get a move on, or else I was going to be pushing it to get to church.  I then remembered that I had set the clock beside the bed 10 minutes fast, so that when the alarm went off in the mornings I could steal a few extra minutes.  That's when it hit me, the watch wasn't defective, it was me who was setting the watch ahead 10 minutes by that clock, then setting it back later by a clock on the right time.  Yeah, only me.

No comments:

Post a Comment