Monday, May 28, 2012

Tick Tock

     These moments aren't going to happen like this very many more times.  Those were the words I kept telling myself.  I turned one way and my 14 year old daughter was asleep beside me, and turned the other to see my soon to be 10 year old.  It was the first time in a long time I could remember this happening, and I was in heaven.
     I did not expect to be trying to get both of my daughters out of my bed and into their own.  I had gone into my bedroom and turned my television on simply because I wasn't interested in what was on in the living room.  The next thing I know, I have a 9 year old with me.  This is not unusual, as lots of times she will come and spend time with me, watch T.V., and just chill.  The next thing I know, I also have a 14 year old.  That was a shocker.
     My 14 year old, Rose, and I have a good relationship, and we have some really good talks.  These talks normally come when we are driving somewhere, or are somewhere with nothing to do but talk.  For her to want to spend time with her Dad at home is rare indeed.  Sure enough though, here she was.  Lauren, my soon to be 10 year old, got up to go in the living room, so I turned to give Rose my undivided attention.
     It hit me that my little girl wasn't a little girl any more.  Somewhere along the line, she grew up on me.  I started petting her hair, like I did when she was a young child, waiting on her to tell me to stop, and then get up and go.  Much to my surprise, she looked at me contentedly and smiled.  I kept petting her until I saw her reach up and take her glasses off.  She was asleep a few seconds later.  I laid there and wondered to myself if that would be the last time we would have moments like these.  They hardly ever happen now, and she is just getting older.
     Soon after, Lauren came back in and laid down.  I petted her for a minute, and she was soon asleep also. I was content with the world in that moment.  I made sure they were gone for the night, then woke them up just enough to walk them to their beds.  A few more minutes of petting and they were out for the night.  This would have been great, but what happened next just topped everything off.  As I went to go get back on the bed, my soon to be 7 year old son came up and followed me to the bed, and laid down.  It took a little more petting, but sure enough he was soon gone too.  I carried him to his bed, stopped by to give my wife a kiss, and then headed to bed again.
     As I laid there I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by what had happened.  I have been blessed with three wonderful children, and to have those kinds of moments are priceless.  I know that they will not last forever, and so each time I cherish them more and more.  I might not do much right, but if there is one thing that I hope I can say I do well, that is being a Dad.  I can't give my kids much, but when they look back I hope and pray that they can say without a shadow of a doubt that they knew their Dad loved them.  I can leave no greater legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment