Monday, May 14, 2012

Dream A Little Dream Part 1

     As I sit here, it is 6:28 a:m on Sunday morning.  I should be unhappy being up at this time on a Sunday, but I'm not, I am totally at ease for a change.  It has been an incredible week, all is peace for the moment. and the world is good.  Let me tell you all about it.
     My wife and oldest daughter have been gone to Washington D.C. this week.  They left out Tuesday night with a group of 8th graders.  That was about the only thing that wasn't perfect about the week, that they weren't here.  Right before they were to leave, my youngest daughter had a softball game, and that's where the real fun begins.  This is her first year playing softball, and she had been struggling with her hitting.  She had hit a few balls good, but had not gotten any hits in the first two games.  Tuesday was the third game, she got three.  Not only that, but her team won in the bottom of the last inning with a walk off two run home run with two outs.  I got to see this as I was driving off to take my wife and daughter to get on their busses.
     My other two kids brought home exceptional reports from school on Wednesday, and I have to say that for the entire week they were the most well behaved children.  I'm not saying they were perfect, but I had very few problems out of either of them.  I was amazed, and proud.  I took them to our local park Thursday night and we spent about an hour walking the train tracks, throwing rocks in the creek, and them playing and being kids.  Friday night brought another softball game, another two hits, and another win.
     Saturday was the day I was really looking forward to.  Saturday was my day to spoil the kids.  I don't get to do that very often, really spoil them.  I actually had a little money saved up, thanks to getting my story published, and another unexpected check, so I knew we could really have a good time.  We weren't loaded, but this was going to be one day where I decided I wasn't going to worry about every penny, and would just let the kids have fun.
     We started out by going to the batting cages.  Lauren has really been coming on strong with her hitting, but I wanted her to get in a little extra practice.  She knocked the cover off the ball.  I think she finally got it.  I can't wait until her next game.  Matthew took three times in the cage before he could hit the ball, but that wasn't unexpected with him never seeing a pitching machine before.  The third time through though he was finally hitting the ball, at 40 miles per hour.  Of course, he said he was going to tell everyone he was hitting home runs at 70 miles per hour.  We put the bats in the car, and headed inside to buy tickets to play mini golf.
     We walked back inside, and I got to thinking about how the kids are always wanting to play video games, but I never have the money to spare.  I decided that since I DID have the money to spare this time, the kids were going to get to play.  Sure enough, my pocket ended up full of tokens.  The kids had a ball, and somehow both of them even ended up beating their Daddy at air hockey.  Then we moved on to mini-golf.
     We played 18 holes, and were pretty much the only ones on the course.  This was great, because the kids could just have fun, and not worry about holding anybody up.  Lauren finally got her hole in one, which was kind of funny because the story that I wrote, that got published, which gave us the money to do all of this, all started at this same golf course with Lauren not getting a hole in one.  Anyway, we finished up the golf, then went to on to the big city to do our dirty little secret.
     I have to confess, this is something that is probably not right, but hey, I pay my membership and membership has it's privileges.  We had about an hour and fifteen minutes until we were to meet our friends that we were going to the ball game with for dinner.  The kids were starving, and I really didn't want to go and buy them anything, only for them to not eat when we got to dinner.  We were close to our local Sam's Club, so we dropped in, did a little looking around, and the kids did a little snacking on the free samples to hold them until dinner.  Yeah, I said it, the kids snacked on the free samples to hold them over.  Anyway, we left and went to dinner after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment