Monday, August 15, 2011

Homecoming Season

Spring Creek Baptist Church
     I went to homecoming at a little church called Spring Creek Baptist Church yesterday.  My Mother In Law and Father In Law go there and invited us.  I have spoken before about my affinity for smaller churches.  For some reason the singing seems to be a little sweeter, the food a little better, and the preaching a little more to the point at the smaller churches.  Yesterday was no different.
     One thing had me concerned, and that was the fact that this church likes having dinner on the grounds.  I like dinner on the grounds, but hesitate in 90+ degree weather.  Luckily the fellowship hall was chosen to host the dinner.
     This is the time of year when churches start having homecomings in the south.  Homecoming season kicks into high gear in early August and runs through late September.  I don't know what verse in the Bible says Thou Shalt have thy homecoming in the months of August or September, but it has to be in there somewhere.   My Mother's church, Sardis Baptist held their homecoming today also, along with a few other churches in the area.  My church has homecoming the second Sunday in September.  I think the second Sunday in August and September must be the prime homecoming dates, they seem to be the most popular.
     I always find it ironic when preachers at homecomings speak of Jesus feeding the masses with the loaves and fishes.  I have often looked at the spread for the homecoming dinner and thought there was no way that amount of food could feed as many people that were there, only to see people take home more food than they brought.  Everybody brings their best dishes, and looks to have a good time of worship and fellowship.  What could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment