Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Football Dad

     As most of you already know, I wear many hats.  Last week I posted about my oldest daughter marching with the high school band, and my feelings as "Band Dad."  For those of you wondering, she did great Friday night, and I, miraculously, made it through the night without crying.
     I also have become "Football Dad" this year.  My 6 year old son, is in his first year playing rec league football.  I am a better band dad than football dad.  Playing football and baseball are all he has ever wanted to do.  He has played baseball for 3 years now, and has been one of the better players on his team.  Last year he had to play soccer instead of football because of his age, and I knew he was disappointed.  This year he made the age limit by less than a month and a half. Therein lies part of the problem.
     My son is one of, if not the youngest players on the team, by far.  He is also one of the smallest.  In other sports size doesn't come into play that much, but in football a 43 pound barely 6 year old doesn't stand much of a chance against a 100+ pound almost 8 year old.  I'll give him credit though, he tries.  The biggest thing is that his mind comprehends a lot of what he is supposed to do, he is one of the best on the team about finding his position and knowing where he is supposed to be, but his body isn't able to accomplish what his mind tells him to do.  This is where being football dad gets tough for me.
     It's not easy for me to watch him struggle.  I knew that football would be good for him as far as him learning teamwork and discipline, but I didn't realize how much he would struggle playing the game.  My routine at his practices is set now, I take my chair, my headphones, and something to read.  I will watch to make sure he doesn't get hurt, but can't stand much more than that.  I also don't care to listen to all of the other parents talking about how great this 6 year old or that 7 year old is going to be.  I have seen a lot of 7 year old future hall of famers not pan out.  I also don't want to see how bad he is struggling, he is going to face a lot of adversity in his life, 6 year old football is a good place for him to learn to overcome by himself.  It will make him stronger.
     I take solace in the fact that in a few years he will be old enough to play baseball year round if he so chooses.  I think that is his real love anyway.  Besides that I am a great baseball dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment