Thursday, August 11, 2011

In Search Of D.B. Cooper

The Man, The Myth, The Legend, D.B. Cooper
    Recently, the news media has been abuzz (how's that for a word) over the FBI saying they may have finally solved the case of D.B.Cooper.  A woman, Marla Cooper, came forward and said she had reason to believe that her uncle L.D. Cooper was the mysterious D.B.  The FBI says her claims are credible, and that her uncle, L.D. may well have been D.B. Cooper.  I'm calling a foul.
     First off, it has been nearly 40 years since all of this took place, and I would like to think that the FBI had better things to do than worry about who D.B. Cooper was.  Assuming that L.D. Cooper was him, he died in 1999 anyway, so nothing would be gained from "solving" the crime other than the FBI salvaging a little pride.  I would think the statute of limitations would be over, but found out that the FBI got an indictment against John Doe AKA D.B. Cooper right before it ran out.  Maybe they want to try to collect taxes on the stolen money from his estate.
    More importantly, I don't think we really need to know who D.B. Cooper was.  Finding out his real identity would probably make me feel how I felt when I found out wrestling was fake.  Some things are just better off left alone.
     The biggest reason that I hope it's not true, and that the mystery of D.B. Cooper lives on, is that this would be one more bit of my youth that would disappear.  Evel Knievel and Elvis are dead, Mohammed Ali and Dusty Rhodes are old, but  D.B. Cooper is still the same as he always was, a mysterious police sketch that never changes.  I take some comfort in that, that maybe there is something that never changes.  Too much of my youth has gone away already, and each little bit that goes makes me face my own aging even more.
      Now I am reading that DNA tests have come back, and that L.D. Cooper's DNA does not match what they have on file for D.B.  Imagine that. I am not surprised.  Marla Cooper is still going to write a book about it, and will probably get rich.  That's the way it's done now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment