Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Daughter is going to band camp

I can't believe my oldest daughter is about to start her first band camp.  It seems like yesterday we were starting her in Pre-k, now she will be marching with the high school band.  I hope she enjoys every minute of it.  I try to tell her she is going to make memories for a lifetime, but she doesn't want  to hear all that.   She just wants to be with her friends.  She will be a third generation band person.  My mom played trumpet in high school, and I was a tuba player, she plays clarinet. Being in band and playing soccer are her things.  She wasn't very athletic as a young child, but took to soccer like a bee to honey.  She had really good coaches, and turned out to be a very good player. She loves playing defense, and she is good.  Her coach for the last several years was brokenhearted at the end of last season when he figured out she would not get to play recreation league this year because of marching band.  Rec league soccer is during high school football, and as good as she is with juggling things she can't be in two places at one time.  Luckily she can play school soccer during the winter.  She also has turned out to be a very good student.  I am always telling her to do her best in band, soccer, and school work so she will be able to go wherever she wants for college instead of going where we can afford.  I hope she listens.  Scholarships are a necessity these days.  She wants to go to The University of Alabama, we are on a technical school budget.  I am confident that whatever she sets her mind to, she will accomplish. That's just the way my daughter has always been. Yesterday she was my baby, and now she is a teenager. Tomorrow is hers for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment