Friday, July 15, 2011

Call me Commodore

I hate to admit it, but I am a Commodore 64 man in a Pentium world.  Somewhere in the late 80's, technology passed me by and I have never caught up.  I took a few computer programming classes in high school, but gave it up because I never figured the computer thing would amount to anything.  The first glimpse I got of the power of a computer was in college, when my roommate Tim brought his computer to our room.  The computer was mostly for his piano keyboard, so I didn't think much about it.  Soon, Tim introduced me to the real genius of the machine, a game called Nyet, which was basically the game now known as Tetris.  Our small dorm room was filled with people wanting to play the game.  In retrospect, I should have gone straight to the registrar and changed to Computer Science, but at the time I was still convinced I was going to be the worlds greatest band director.  That was as close as I ever got to speeding along the information superhighway.  Now I am totally lost when it comes to any kind of technology, sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire.  I thought I had seen it all when the 8-track was replaced by cassettes.  My kids hold more music today on their MP3 players than I could have put on a house full of cassettes.  I was excited  when I got my Commodore 64, until Luke next door got his Nintendo 2600.  Now kids have A Wii, Xbox, Playstation, and carry a DS in their pocket.  My cell phone, well, I can call you with it, and can take a picture with it, but that's about it.  The only thing I Kindle is wood, I eat Blackberries, and I thought people surfed in the ocean.  I have no clue the difference between an I-Pod and an I-Pad, and couldn't Tivo if my life depended on it.  I guess I'll go ask my kids, they can explain it all to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment