Wednesday, July 20, 2011

God Bless the Lunch Ladies

     I have discovered the true reason behind my struggle with weight all these years.  I trace the roots of my problems back to all of the lunch ladies I have known through the years.  When I was in school, we had great lunch ladies.  Maybe it is the years that have passed, but I remember school food as being pretty good in my day.  I always made it a point to be friendly with the lunch ladies, and they always responded with a little bigger helping of the good stuff.  Back then I didn't give it much thought, but these women fed us day in and day out, and nobody ever gave them much thanks.  When I was doing my student teaching in college, I was lucky to teach a band class in the lunchroom right before lunch.  It was hard to concentrate with the wonderful aromas, but I knew if I made it through the hour, the lunch ladies would reward me by asking me to sample that days desert. 
     Wouldn't it be great if some day a Star Student named a lunch lady as his Star Teacher?  I can hear it now...... " I chose lunch lady because I worked better on a full stomach.  I am proud to honor lunch lady, because without her my stomach would have been growling and I wouldn't have been able to pass my tests.  Lunch lady also helped me have perfect attendance for 12 years because I was afraid she would cook my favorite meal and I would miss it if I was absent.  My goal in life is to become a teacher, so that lunch lady can continue to take care of me for years to come."
     My wife is a lunch lady, and I am proud of that.  It gives me comfort knowing that my spouse is spending her days feeding the future leaders of America.  Not only that, but she is a great cook.  I hope that in Heaven there is a special dinner just for lunch ladies, where everyone they served can come together and feed them.  That seems only right.

No comments:

Post a Comment