Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Going Going Gone

    My Rosie is going to be marching in the high school band this year.  My, how time flies.  30 years ago I was getting ready to start my first year in marching band.  It doesn't seem that long ago.  Time has a way of marching on.
Summerville High School  www.chattoogaphotohistory.com

     In 1981 I was about to start my 8th grade year at Summerville Junior High School.  Back then we went to junior high school instead of middle school.  I don't know who came up with middle school, probably some big shot in Atlanta.  At one time the junior high school was the high school.  I took pride in knowing I was walking the same halls my Mom did when she was in high school.  Now there is an empty lot where the main building was, a church, apartments, and a hamburger stand where the rest of the school stood.
     I still remember the way the halls would creak.  There was something about those old wooden floors.  I couldn't even begin to count how many times Alma Lewis, Rodney White, Melvin Mosely, and David White lifted me off the ground with their paddles.  I don't care what anybody says, Alma Lewis paddled harder than anybody, and she got plenty of practice with me.  My wife tells me I don't have a backside.  I know where it is, it's on those paddles..
Chattooga High School
     My 25 year high school reunion is coming up, and this will probably be the last reunion we have before they tear our high school down.  Most of the schools I went to have been closed, and the few that haven't are scheduled to be soon.  It's bittersweet.  It makes me realize that I am not getting any younger. North Summerville Elementary School, and Summerville Junior High School are already gone, Summerville Elementary and Chattooga High School are on their last legs. 
     I think I might just shed a tear.

No comments:

Post a Comment