Friday, July 8, 2011

Not the way I wanted to start

I have been throwing around the idea of a blog for some time now, and thought it would be fun.  I wanted to do a lot of fun, some inspiration, and hopefully give people something to think about every once in a while.  Something happened yesterday that has caused my first try at this to be a whole lot more serious than I ever intended.  I awoke this morning to the news that a man had fell to his death at Arlington Stadium during a Texas Rangers game.  This caught my eye, and I started reading the article.   Shannon Stone was doing something that a lot of Dads have done through the years, he took his 6 year old son, Cooper, to the ball game.  They had, like almost every father and son, hoped to get a foul ball during the game.  I can only imagine how excited this little boy was.  During the game Ranger's outfielder Josh Hamilton threw a ball towards the stands, and Shannon Stone tried to grab it.  When he reached for the ball, he fell over the railing and landed 20 feet below.  The first words out of his mouth were about the safety of his son.  Unfortunately about an hour later Shannon Stone died from his injuries.  Cooper Stone is the same age as my son, and Shannon Stone was only 4 years younger than me.  This hit home.  This very well could have been me and my son.  I think of all the times I have taken my children to games, and how we always hope to come home with a ball.  I pray with all my heart tonight for this family, and especially for this little boy.  I think I am going to go hug my kids a little tighter and a little longer tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment