Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bringing back Granny

I think I know a big part of what is wrong with this world today.  We need more Grannies.  I know what you are thinking , there are grandparents everywhere.  That's not what I am saying.  Not many people have Grannies.  My kids have wonderful Grandmothers, that are truly amazing women, but they aren't Granny.  My kids have a Nana and a MawMaw, and it just ain't the same.  Somewhere along the way, Granny turned into an ugly word, and most grandmothers today would have a hissy fit if there grandchildren called them by that name  Granny has gone from being a loving term of endearment to another word for old, and that's not right.  I had two grandmothers, Granny Woods and Granny Fletcher, and I can't imagine them as being anything else. I have great memories of my Grannies.  Granny Fletcher passed away  when I was extremely young, but I still remember playing on Granny's porch, and going to Granny's to eat grits. I truly believe that Granny Fletcher's grits were manna from Heaven.  I also knew to tow the line, or else I would be going out to get the hickory she was going to use to set me straight.  Granny Woods was the rock of our family, she had a magical way of making her small home and yard grow to fit all of us, and there was a slew of us.  Going to Granny Woods house was better than anything, because there would be cousins, aunts, uncles, food, and love.  Heck, even people outside our family called her Granny Woods.  When you went to Granny Woods house, you were going to eat whether you were hungry or not.  If there wasn't food made, which was rare, she was going to fix something.  That's just the way Grannies work.  You can't help but be impressed by that.  I think the world would be a lot better off if more people had Grannies instead of Meemaws, Mimis and the like.  Hopefully when the women of my generation become grandparents, they will embrace being Granny again.  It could be the start of something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment