Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Once Again, Bam!

     It always amazes me how things happen in life.  I have written this same thing in several different forms, too  many times probably, but every time it happens it blows me away.  This time was really weird.
     Bear with me, if you get tired of me writing about my kids, and my Dad.  Tonight (I am writing this Tuesday night) my son got me.  People can say what they want to about genetics versus environment, but my son pulled one out of the genetic sky tonight.
     I was in the kitchen eating supper, and he was in the living room playing his handheld game.  I wasn't paying much attention to him, as I was hungry, and he was occupied.  Every so often I would look in on him, just to make sure he was not into anything he wasn't supposed to be.  When I looked in on him this time though, what I saw floored me.
    My Dad, late in his life, had trouble breathing.  The way my Dad coped with this was to relax in the strangest way I have ever seen.  My dad would be in the floor on his knees, with his body and head on a couch or a chair.  He would sleep like this a good bit of the time.  That was also the way he would read, relax, whatever.  He breathed better that way.  I hadn't thought much about that lately until tonight.
     When I looked in on my son, he was sitting on his knees on the couch, leaned over the arm of the couch like he was praying, playing his game.  He was comfortable, and he was happy.  It hit me like a ton of bricks, he has a lot of my Dad in him.  My son has often talked about his PawPaw Jerry, even though my Dad died before he was born.  I remember at my Dad's funeral, several people told me how much my Dad had been looking forward to his grandson being born.  I think he got to meet him before any of us did.
     Anybody that has lost a parent knows how hard it is.  The pain gets easier, but it never goes away.  I see so much of my Dad in my kids that makes me realize that their is always a part of him here.  I never forget my Dad, but sometimes life gets so hectic I let his memory fade just a little.  Luckily my kids are there to bring it back.  The holidays bring with it special challenges, which I will post more about later.  Right now I just want to take a few quiet moments and remember my Dad, and look forward to the day when I will see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment