Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Past And Present

     I cannot believe that Christmas is less than two weeks away.  It occurred to me that my kids are growing up, and there are not that many Christmas mornings with children in our house left.  My two youngest are growing up fast.  I'm not looking forward to that day.
     There is something special about Christmas with children.  It doesn't seem that long ago that Rose was the one that we couldn't get to go to bed Christmas Eve.  Rose is a teenager already.  Lauren has already gotten to the point that she understands some of the "mysteries" of Christmas, and I'm sure that Matthew won't be far behind.  I am going to miss it when I don't get to stay up late and wait so I can help Santa.
     When I was a kid, we had a routine every year.  On Christmas Eve night, we would go to my Grandmother's house.  Every year, my Mom and Dad would have to leave to go to the store.  Somehow, when we got home, Santa had been there.  I still remember those Christmas Eve gatherings.  There were a lot of characters in my Dad's family, and I looked forward to seeing them all.  There was a lot of food, and a lot of love.
     When I got older, we would also go to my Dad's house.  Between my Dad and my Step Mother there was a large family.  My Dad loved Christmas, loved having family around, and especially loved the kids.  Christmas morning has always been breakfast with my Mom.
     My Grandmother is gone now, and so is my Dad.  We are doing Christmas a week early with my wife's family.  I am going to really try to take time this Christmas day and just enjoy my family.
      I apologize for the shortness of today's post, as I am extremely busy with another project tonight, and had a Christmas program that I attended.    God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment