Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Sitcom Life

     I have come to the conclusion that I should video my life, and then sell the tapes to a network for a sitcom.  I can get myself into situations that are would be comical, if it weren't really happening. It's either that, or it is funny because it is really happening.
     A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked for volunteers to sing at the local nursing home on the second Tuesday of December.  I told him I would try to be there if I could.  As luck would have it my wife had a meeting at church and took one of our kids with her, and the other two decided to stay with my Mom.  I got dressed, and off to the nursing home I went.  I looked forward to being with friends and singing to the residents.  My friend had told me earlier in the day to be there at 7:00, so I happily arrived with about 10 minutes to spare.
     I didn't know what kind of vehicle my friend drove, and didn't see him or anybody I recognized outside when I got there, so I went inside.  I went to the nurses desk and told them I was there to sing with a group.  The nurse looked at me strangely, and said that the singing wasn't until 7:30.  The nurse told me that I was free to go into the dining area where the singing would be and wait.
     I went to the room, and sat down.  7:00 came and went with nobody there.  Around 7:15 an announcement came over the intercom that the singing would begin at 7:30.  I figured I had misunderstood my friend.  Around 7:20 the nurses started bringing the residents in, but still no friend.  About 7:25 a man walked in with an armload of hymnals, and a preacher and his wife walked in with him and started talking to the residents.  This would have been good news, if not for the fact that I knew the preacher, and knew that we were not only of different races, but that I was a Baptist and he was Church of Christ.  I have nothing against Church of Christ singing, in fact I enjoy singing A Capella, but I knew by this point I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I got up and, as quietly and inconspicuously as possible made my way out.  As I was leaving I talked to one of the nurses and explained what had happened.  She said that a baptist church was supposed to sing the next Tuesday.  I told her my friend had talked to me earlier in the day and said tonight.  I was really confused.
    I got into my car to head home.  As I got on the road, I happened to look at the other side of the nursing home were the assisted living facility is located and saw a small crowd gathered outside.  Sure enough, it was my friend, along with several other people I know.  I pulled in, got out, and walked over.  I asked him if they had already sang and he said yes.  Come to find out my friend calls the assisted living facility the nursing home.  They looked like they had a great time.  He told me he realized he had told people the wrong place and had texted everyone whose cell number he had.  Unfortunately he didn't have mine. We laughed, and I told him I would try to catch them next time.
    That's the way it goes in my world.  My heart was in the right place, and everyone got a good laugh, so no harm no foul.  It could only happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment