Friday, March 23, 2012

A Tribute

     As I write this, it is 6:05 Thursday afternoon.  My wife is having a pampered chef party in our living room.  I am locked in my bedroom.  That's the best way to handle it, I don't care anything about that kind of thing.  I am a guy, and a pot is a pot, a pan is a pan.  I do have a lot on my mind, but today's blog is going to be a tribute to someone who I admire, a man that has set a great example.
    When I was in high school, I had a very dear friend named Melissa.  We were in the band together, she was a couple of years behind me.  We were like peanut butter and jelly though.  I never had any sisters, but have been blessed to have had two women in my life that were like sisters to me, my older "sister" Karen, and my younger "sister" Melissa.  I grew close to Melissa's family, her Mother was dear to me, and her husband and I were inseperable for years.  I even became a Godfather to her two sons.  One day I was hanging out with her husband at their home, when an old Dodge truck pulled up.  It was her grandfather, Buford Fox.
     I didn't know Buford then, and was a little aprehensive about meeting him.  At the time, I had long hair which I kept in a ponytail, and I could just tell Buford was a straight shooter.  My fears were relieved when he talked to me, and if he was bothered by my appearance, he sure didn't show it.  At the time, I wasn't living the best kind of life, and one of the goals of David and Melissa was to get me to come to church with them.  That was 15 or so years ago.  When I finally gave in and went, I found out Buford was the choir director.  Later on I found out he had been the choir director for just about forever.  The more I got to know Buford, the more I found out just how genuine he was.  He was never judgemental, and was always there when anybody needed him.
     Later on down the road, I found out that Buford had an amazing accomplishment.  He had, and still has, perfect attendance in Sunday School.  Now, when I say this I'm sure some of you are saying so what, but you don't understand.  When I say perfect attendance, I mean for 40 plus years.  I say 40 plus, because I long since lost track of the exact number.  To put that in perspective, this man has had perfect attendance in Sunday School for about as long as I have been alive.
     At the church that I attend, Buford was the choir director, and the chair of the deacon board.  What eventually happened was that another choir director, called the worship leader was brought in, and Buford would lead a couple of songs out of the hymnal before turning the choir over to the worship leader to do more special type music.  I had the chance to be the interim worship leader for a few years, and was proud to sit under Buford's tutelage.  Soon though, Buford's health started fading, and he would sing the same verses twice, and then occasionaly the same song.  It was sad and heartbreaking.  One day Buford came up to me and told me he wasn't going to lead the choir that day, and wanted me to lead all of the songs.  I almost cried.  He never stepped behind the podium again.
     The past few years haven't been very kind to Buford.  Luckily he has some great people watching over him.  The streak is still intact also.  He is still there in Sunday school.  I can honestly say that Buford is one of the few people I have ever looked up to in my life, and one of the rare few that has never wavered.  They never made many like that, and even fewer are around today.  God bless you Buford Fox, you are one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment