Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Grizzard Nugget

       I have a great affinity for the writings of Lewis Grizzard.  Lewis Grizzard was the Dean of southern humorists in his day, a precursor to Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, and Larry the Cable Guy.  He wrote a column that was syndicated throughout the U.S., but his home paper was the Atlanta Journal.
     One of my joys in the days he wrote the column was to stop on my way to work and get an Atlanta paper.  The only things I really cared anything about were the sports page, and the Lewis Grizzard column.  It was a daily ritual.  I still remember the day that the news of his death was front page, I remember where I was, and the feelings I had.  I had lost a hero of sorts.
     Soon after, I started collecting books he had written.  I did not become a fan until late in his life, so there was plenty of material for me to read.  I don't know how many books of his I have, I do know there are plenty.  I have read most of them over and over again.  It had been a long time since I had seen a Lewis Grizzard book that I didn't have, until Saturday.
     My family had gone to the local flea market to get a little fresh air and exercise.  Normally, I don't buy things at the flea market, unless it is something I specifically went looking for.  Most of the time, my wife and kids do the looking, and I walk and talk to whomever I run into.  There is a couple that sets up most weeks that sells books, and I had looked through their books several times not finding anything.  I decided to glance through as I walked by, just to see if they had anything interesting.
    I walked past the boxes and could tell that most of the books were not anything that would interest me.  I am not a big fiction fan, and political book bore me to tears.  I was almost to the final box when I saw it.  A Lewis Grizzard book!  I was still not too excited as I was sure it was one already in my collection, but was pleasantly surprised when I did not recognize the title.  It was "The Last Bus To Albuquerque", and I didn't have it.  It was a hardback book, and I had no idea what the going price was, so I asked.  Two dollars was the answer.  I didn't hesitate.
     The book was written and put together after he died by his friends.  The first chapter of the book was memories of Lewis written by his friends, then the remainder was a collection of his columns that were written in his final years.  It was two of the best dollars I have ever spent.  I have already read the first two chapters, but am intentionally reading only a few pages at a time.  I can go through a book like that in no time, but this is one that I want to savor.
     I do know that the final entry in the book is the final column Lewis wrote before he died.  I don't look forward to reading that.  I found a gold nugget Saturday, I want to treasure it as long as I can.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment