Monday, March 19, 2012

Weighing In On My Weight Loss

     I said when I started my weight loss journey again I was going to be transparent, and take you along every step of the way.  I have to admit, when it came time to make my starting weight public, it was painful.  I was humiliated and ashamed.  My first weigh in I was 310 pounds.  I set several goals for myself.  The first was to lose 40 pounds during the Biggest Loser competition where I work.  That was not my final goal, just the one I was hoping to hit in that time frame.  My second goal was to get below 300 pounds.  I figure I would set goals along the way, so that as I worked towards my long term goals I was hitting short term goals.  Last Friday was my 2 week weight in.
      I knew I had lost some weight.  I had weighed the Friday before, and had lost 5 pounds.  I also knew that when you change your eating, you lose water weight.  I wasn't overly excited about weighing in, as I did not think I would meet my first goal, of being under 300 pounds.  I was anxious Friday morning, waiting until time to step on the scales.  Finally, at 10:00, we got to do the official weigh in.
     The guy that weighed before me is one of my best friends, and he had lost 12 pounds.  I was happy for him, but also thought that I would be disappointed if I had not lost that much.  I took off my boots, cleaned out my pockets, and stepped on the scale. 298 pounds.  I had done it, I had gotten below 300 pounds.  I hope I never see that number again on a scale.
     I am not going to lie and say it has been easy, because it hasn't been.  I like food, and there are times when I feel like I am not going to make it if I don't eat some junk food.  I have found that sooner or later, those cravings pass.  Saturday night I had to go to Chattanooga, and was faced with great temptation.  I was with a party, and they wanted to go to Golden Corral.  That used to be one of my favorite places, and in the old days I could do some damage.
     We went in, and I think I made smart choices.  I am not going to lie and say I didn't give myself a little leeway, but I do think I did well enough under the circumstances.  I ate steak, a couple of very small portions of sweet and sour chicken, and then my vegetables.  I ate a couple of small pieces of meatloaf.  I sat and stared at the chocolate wonderfall, and did not give in.  I did not get anywhere near the sweets.  For the first time ever, I walked out of a Golden Corral not feeling miserable.
     Sunday I did treat myself, and took my family to Steak and Shake.  I had a burger, and fries.  I drank a diet coke.  I'm not going to beat myself up over one meal.  Tonight, I ate a pack on peanut butter M&M's.  That was  the amount of my cheating.  I think I did good.
     Today, Monday, I am back to hardcore dieting for two more weeks.  I have a long way to go, but with God's help, I will get there.  I have no other choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment