Thursday, March 15, 2012

An Unexpected Blessing

     I received an unexpected blessing tonight.  These are the best kinds, the kind that comes when you have reached the end of your rope, and you just need a little something to pick you back up.  First, the back story.
     Several years ago I was at home talking to God, when something strange happened to me.  I closed my eyes and saw a friend of mine sitting on a hill.  The more I looked, the more I realized that she was sitting on the hill at the time Jesus fed the multitudes with the five loaves and two fish.  It was as if I was watching it from afar, but it was clear as day.  When it was over, I went to tell my friend about what had happened.
     My friend has written several gospel songs which have been recorded.  I told her about what had happened, and we talked about it.  I told her that I was sure it was something that God had wanted me to give to her, to write a song, or for whatever.  I knew it was for her.  Soon after she told me she had studied the story, and had been given a song.  Several months went by, and we both kind of put it in the back of our minds.
     Later on I happened to think about it when I was talking to her, and asked her about it.  She told me she had almost finished it, but couldn't quite get the completed song done.  I was disappointed, but still didn't think much about it.  A few months later she came up to me at church and told me she had something to tell me.  She had finished the song, and was singing it that morning.  I was thrilled.
     The song was titled "I'm Not Hungry Any More".  It was a beautiful song which talked about not only being fed physically, but spiritually as well.  She sang it a couple of times the next few months, then it just kind of went away.  I hadn't thought about that song in a long time.  My friend now sings with a couple of other people, so I don't see her much any more.  When she told me she had something she needed to tell me, I didn't know what to expect.
     One of the guys she sings with was formerly a part of an up and coming country duo.  They were on the brink of making it big, when this man accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior.  When that happened, he walked away from the burgeoning country career, along with a record contract, to sing only gospel music.  That was his conviction, and he followed it wholeheartedly.  I have heard him sing gospel, and it is obvious he made the right decision.  Anyway, she told me that this man had recently signed to record his first gospel album.  I thought that was great.
     The next thing she told me blew me away.  She said that one day they were practicing, and she told the story to him, and sang the song.  He fell in love with it.  She has started singing the song whenever they sing, and said that the reaction is amazing.  She also said that this song is one of the songs he wanted recorded on his album.  Ain't that something?
     I would not dare take any credit for anything about this song.  I was just in the right place at the right time, and willing to listen.  It still tickles me pink knowing that I had a very small part in something that God is using to bless others.  I'll take my blessings any way I can get them these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment