Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Big Time Gospel Singing

      I took my wife to a big gospel singing this past weekend.  Well, to be honest she is the one that found out about the singing, and she bought the tickets, but I drove.  It was in Chattanooga at Memorial Auditorium, and there were 5 groups.  It was a choice between this singing, or a Gaither Homecoming concert next Saturday, and I think we chose wisely.
     The first thing that struck me was that it had been a long time since I had been to Memorial Auditorium.  My Dad used to take me there when I was little to watch wrestling.  I have many memories of Tojo Yamamoto, Dennis Condrey, Bobby Eaton, Terry Gordy, and Micheal Hayes from those days.  Later, after I had gotten a little older I would go see Mr. Wrestling 2, Tommy Rich, and the likes.  I knew when I walked in that it had probably been close to 30 years since I had stepped foot in that building.
     I was excited about the singing, which featured The Greesons, The Singing Cookes, The McKameys, The Inspirations, and Micheal Combs. This was my first real big time southern gospel singing, so I really didn't know what to expect.  I know that I was looking forward to the evening, especially the Greesons.  They have become my favorite group. 
     We got to the Auditorium early and found our seats.  We had great seats, about 10 rows back and on the right side of the stage.  We were happy to see several people that we knew, and spent a few minutes visiting before the singing started.  Soon it was time for the singing to start, and The Greesons were the opening act.  I was happy, and they had the audience from the start.  By the time they sang "I Shall Return" I knew this was going to be a special night.  If you have never heard them sing this song live, you have really missed something.
     I sat amazed at The Inspirations, The McKameys, and The Singing Cookes.  All of these groups have been going at it longer than I have been alive.  They are leaving legacies that will last for all time.  I both laughed and cried at Micheal Combs and his special talents.  Time flew by quickly.  I kept waiting for the intermission that they kept talking about, but each group came on right after the other.  Like I said, this was my first big time gospel singing.  When everyone had finished, they announced a 20 minute intermission.  It was 10:00.  We had been there for three and a half hours of Southern Gospel.  It was great.  The Greesons came back out and sang two songs, and as much as I hated to, we had to leave.  We had children to pick up, and church the next day.  We got home right at the stroke of midnight.
     I loved hearing the groups, but at the same time it was bittersweet.  One of my dreams has always been to sing in a gospel quartet.  Unfortunately, I never got that chance.  I have always admired the old time singers, especially the late George Younce.  He was always my favorite.  I just wish I had gotten my love of southern gospel back in the heyday of the Cathedrals and such.  By the time I had caught the bug, many of the greats had already gone home.  Now, there are fewer and fewer actual quartets.  One thing that I do is when the groups that don't have bass singers sing, I make up my own bass line and sing along.  I guess that will have to do for me.
     As for my all time favorite group, well, they don't sing any more.  My all time favorite group was The Duvall Family.  Jeff Duvall went into the ministry full time, and is an even better preacher than he was a singer, and that is saying something.  My admiration for that particular group is another story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment