Monday, April 2, 2012

Now Comes The Hard Part

     We weighed in again Friday for our biggest loser competition.  I promised to be accountable during this process, and to make my struggle with my weight public.  When you lose weight you normally lose a good bit in the first couple of weeks, and mine was no exception.  I lost 12 pounds at the first weigh in.  I was apprehensive for this last weigh in as I knew that my losses had not been as good, and was seriously wondering if there would be much if any difference this time.
     I had stayed on my eating plan, except for the previous Sunday when I ate a sensible lunch at Arby's, then had a not so sensible Oreo Blast (medium, not the normal large) at Sonic afterward.  Sunday night I topped it off with a bowl of Rice Crispies.  Other than that, I was on the mark.  The time came to weigh in, and I nervously stepped on the scale.  The scale read 292 pounds.  I had lost another 6 pounds.  I was not exactly thrilled, but I'll take it.
     My goal for this beginning phase of getting healthy was to lose 40 pounds in 16 weeks, the length of the biggest loser competition.  I am already almost halfway there.  40 pounds in 16 weeks amounts to 2.5 pounds a week.  That was a high goal.  Most experts say to try to lose a pound a week.  Most everyone else's weight loss has slowed also, so I was not alone.
     I knew going in that this was not going to be easy.  I am older now, and losing the weight is not as easy as it once was.  I can't work out like I did when I was 20, or 30.  Heck, the last few years have been rough and I can't even do the things I could do at 40.  Growing older is tough.  I do what I can do.  Thursday night while my son was at his baseball practice I walked around and around the baseball field.  I am trying to walk as much as possible.  The elliptical machine that we picked up at a yard sale several years ago gets brought out occasionally, but is still mostly used as a hat rack.
     The good thing is that I can actually wear my clothes a little more comfortably now.  There are still a lot of clothes in my closet that I have had since my last health journey that I have never worn.  Maybe they won't be out of style too badly by the time I get to where I can wear them.  Most were gifts from my family, and I am ashamed that they thought enough of me to buy them and I could not use them.  I hope they are proud of me when I finally do.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:46 PM

    Keep at it, Barry. Even when it isn't as much as you would like to lose, it is still a step in the right direction. Be proud of every single pound!

    ReplyDelete