Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Onions and Allergies

     My post about my Dad yesterday had more hits than any other post I have ever done.  I had 50 visitors to my blog to read what I wrote.  I am humbled.  I wish I could say that I have a great follow up, something to wow those people that came to read that piece.  Unfortunately I don't.
     I can tell you that I did find out a very valuable lesson last night.  I found out that when you have allergies, and they are bothering your eyes, that is not the greatest time to try to cut onions.  I started having a little trouble with my eyes watering and burning yesterday afternoon.  I didn't think much of it.  I went to watch my son practice football and things seemed to be better.  After we came home, and I ate a wonderful steak my wife had waiting on me, I decided to go ahead and cut a couple of onions for a benefit lunch at work. 
     My wife, as she normally does when it comes to food, asked me if I wanted her to do it.  I, being a man, said no, I had it under control.  I got out my onions, and my huge knife.  I had visions of Food Network on my mind, sure that my wife and kids would be impressed with my slicing and dicing skills. It didn't take long before I realized that I was struggling.  It also didn't take my wife long.  "Why don't you come over to the table and do that, you'll have more room?"  I moved from the counter to the table and continued with my quest.  "Why don't you use the chopper" she asked.
     By now I could see that I was losing, but wouldn't dare admit it.  As soon as she walked out of the room, I got up to get the chopper.  Of course, being a man, I had no idea where it was.  "Honey, where is the chopper?"  After she told me where it was, and then came back in the kitchen to show me where it was, I was on my way.
     The first half of the first onion went fine.  Soon thought the fumes from the onion caught up to me, and I found myself standing in the kitchen unable to open my eyes.  The allergies and the onions had made my eyes feel as though there were flaming pins in them.  I stumbled blindly into the bedroom and flopped onto the bed.  As I lay there writhing in agony my wife asked me if I was finished.  Bravely I said no, I was taking a break.  I'm sure the painful groans gave me away, along with the fact I was stumbling blind when I came in, but she said nothing.  After a while I recovered enough to go back and finish, but not before blinding my self again.
     It was about that time that my wife said those magic words.  "Honey, you're tired, why don't you go lay down and rest."  Now, that doesn't sound like much, but I know what she really means when she says that is Honey you are tired, and you are making things worse.  You have made a valiant effort and failed miserably, but I love you and don't want to embarrass you.  I stumbled through the house, told my family good night, then went to bed.  That's why I don't have a great follow up.  Blame it on the onions. I hope ya'll forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment