Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Adventure

     I haven't posted since last week.  It has been a crazy week, and honestly I haven't had the time or the energy to do the blog this week.  Let me catch you up to speed.
     First, Saturday was my oldest daughters first marching contest.  Being a former band member, this was a big deal to me.  She was scheduled to go on at 3:20 in Jasper Georgia.  The only problem was my son had a football game in Lafayette at 11:00.  No big deal, I had plenty of time.  That's what I thought anyway.
     I left the house around 9:30 Saturday morning, dropped my wife and daughter off at the school to ride the bus, and took off for Lafayette.  We got to the game, parked, and went in.  As is the norm for a 6-7 year old football game, the game was dragging, and  started a few minutes late due to the flag football game running over.  Still, I thought I was in good shape.  That's when things went south.
     Late in the second quarter a kid on my sons team went down with a serious injury.  Before I go any further I will tell you the kid was injured, but is fine now other than his arm in a sling.  Anyway, there was a 40 minute wait on an ambulance to get to the stadium and take the kid to the hospital.  Soon I realized that instead of being on the road by a few minutes after 12:00, it was going to be closer to 1:00.  I was still thinking that the trip was 90 minutes or so, and I would be in good shape.
    When the game ended I called to one of the coaches, who handed my son over the fence to me.  I put him on my shoulders and took off for the car.  When we got in I handed him his clothes to change, and off we went.  I was making good time, until I got to Calhoun.  It was in Calhoun that I lost my highway.  Highway 136 was the directions I had, and I could not find the highway anywhere.  I stopped and asked for directions.
     Hwy 53 would take me straight into Jasper I was told.  I knew that I would eventually, using my directions, end up on 53, and i am fairly familiar with this road, so off I went again.  All was fine until I reached Jasper.  I came to an intersection where there were signs saying 53 East, 53 West, 53 commercial, and 53 Business.  I had no clue which one to take.  I stopped again to ask for directions.
     By now it was closing in on 2:45, but I was in town.  Surely someone would tell me i was close.  The lady I asked was nice, but didn't seem to have much more of an idea than I did.  Finally she told me to go down the road about a quarter of a mile and turn right at the Sheriffs office.  I did as she said and was still confident I was going to make it, until the road turned into dirt.  I saw a young man coming in a truck, and asked him if I was going the right way.  Of course I wasn't.
     I was on the phone with my wife while this was going on, and the young man was trying to give me directions.  I told her I wasn't going to make it, as it was already 3:00.  The kid heard me, and asked me why I was trying to get there.  I explained my situation to him, and he said to follow him, he would take me to the school.  He had to be an angel, as he led me directly to the school.  I pulled into the parking lot at 3:15, grabbed my son, and ran to the stadium.  I made it in as the band was starting to come on to the field.
                                Part Two Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment