Friday, July 13, 2012

Herbie

     I lost another friend this week.  Herbert "Herbie" Roberts passed on to his reward after a long, difficult battle with illness.  Seems like this happens all too frequently lately.  Herb was a one of a kind character.  I had not seen or talked to him in a while, but my memories of him are fond and will live with me and many others for a long time.
     Most people called him Herbie, but to me he was always Herb.  I met Herb years ago when I was working in the denim mill.  I liked him from the day I met him.  Many people put on an act, and when you get to really know them you find out how they really are.  Herb was real every second of every day that I knew him.  You knew by being around him he loved God, he loved his family, and he absolutely loved and enjoyed life.
     Herb worked an incredible amount of hours back when we worked together.  I would often ask him why he did it.  He would tell me real quick, he did it for his family.  I still remember how he would light up when he would talk about his family, and especially when one of them would come by the mill to see him.
     Herb and I both left the mill and went into a different line of work.  We both went into the car business.  I lasted a year, Herb did it until the end of his life.  Several times when he was working in Dalton I would go out of the way to go to the dealership he worked at just to say hi, and catch up with him for a few moments.  He left there and went to work in Gadsden, so I didn't get to see him as much.
     Occasionally he would cross my mind, and I would look up his number and call him up.  I guess the last time I talked to Herb was a few years ago when we were looking for a van.  I called him up and asked him if he had one that we would like.  I had already looked online at their inventory, and knew they probably didn't, but took the opportunity to call him and talk to him for a few minutes anyway.
     Herb fought a tough battle the past few years, and I always dreaded hearing his latest setback.  I knew Herb was in bad shape, but figured he would win the battle somehow.  When I started to work and saw his name at the funeral home I was heartbroken.
     I will always have one favorite memory of Herb.  Herb and I got along great, a lot of it had to do with our love of pranks.  When we worked together almost every day we would try to get one another.  Herb always won.  One time I thought I had gotten Herb.  I don't remember what I did, but I left work that evening for my long weekend off.  Herb hardly ever took off.  I didn't think much about it, until I came in to work the next week.  As soon as I walked in I saw the look on everybody's faces and knew something was up.
     I started to get ready to go to work, and headed towards my locker.  Every eye in the place was on me, and I knew I had been gotten.  When I got to my locker I noticed that there was something on the vent holes.  When I opened it up I knew what had happened.  The entire weekend while I was home, Herb was making me a snack of sardines and onions in my locker for me to have when I got back.  He had stuffed them through the vent holes.  Three days worth of sardines and onions.  He had won again.
     Some would say that Herb lost his battle this time, but I know better.  Herb was a man of true faith, and so his battle has been won.  He is with his Savior now, his race is over.  There are a few of us that worked with Herb back then that work together at another place now.  As I went around telling them about Herb's passing today all talked about the great memories they have of him, and how much they loved and respected him.  That is the best testimony anybody can ask for.
    I look forward to the day I see Herb again.  I just hope they don't have sardines and onions in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment