Friday, November 28, 2014

Being Thankful

     I haven't written in a while, a long while, not because there was nothing to say, just not enough time to get it from mind to "paper."  This Thanksgiving season has given me pause to see and understand just how blessed I truly am, and how much change is about to happen.
     As we sat around the table yesterday eating our meal, I realized that next year may very well be the last Thanksgiving and Christmas we have together as we currently are.  Rose will be a senior next year, the next year she will probably be in college.  Yes, she will most likely be home for the holidays, but there is a good chance it will be just as a visit instead of as a resident.
     Sitting on the couch, with Matthew sitting beside me or in my lap, I realized that this would be the last holiday season with a young child in the house.  Matthew will be 10 by this time next year, and there is just something about when they go to two digits.  Sitting in Daddy's lap, and things like that just aren't as cool to a 10 year old as they are a 9 year old.
     Lauren is growing up far too fast, 12 going on 20.  I still love it when we go for walks and she wants to hold my hand.  I think about how blessed I am that my 12 year old daughter still loves me that much.  I just wonder how long before that goes away also.  Like everything else, I know it is coming.
     As I sit here this morning I also realize how blessed I am to have another holiday season.  This year has been filled with many struggles, struggles that we weren't expecting.  Being in the hospital, going blind for a while, and all of the assorted things that come along with things like that have drained me this year.  I have found strength though in knowing that we found a new church home after searching for almost two years, we are healthy now, we have a roof over our heads, and we have food to eat.  As we sat at the table yesterday I asked he kids what they were thankful for.  Each gave their answers, and I was impressed with all of them.  When it came my time I gave my answer, and I will give the same one today.  What am I thankful for?
     I am thankful that even though God has not given me all that I wanted, He has given me all I need.  That is all we can ask for.  God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment